Wednesday, October 23, 2013
To what extent does hydraulic fracturing effect our climate?
The question I am asking in this blog is, to what extent does hydraulic fracturing effect our climate? I have heard that hydraulic fracturing is really not that harmful to our climate. I have also heard the contrary, that it is a very dangerous way to get natural gas and that there are some serious risks involved in it. To answer this question I will need to do some research and discover how bad it actually is. The process of hydraulic fracturing involves heavy machinery and drills that dig deep into the ground and shoot water at high pressure into the underground rocks. Once the water is shot into the ground the rocks crack and natural gas is released into a collection chamber. I have heard that some of this gas can leak into the atmosphere which is harmful. I have also heard that some of the chemicals that are used in this process can leak into the ground and cause water pollution. I am not sure how much this process actually effects our water and climate but it sure does sound dangerous. Hydraulic fracturing is in use in many of the fifty states. If it were to be outlawed then a huge number of people would be without a job. If hydraulic fracturing really isn't that bad for the climate, then I don't see a problem with it. If it is really dangerous and a serious risk to our water and climate, then I think we should find a new and less dangerous way to obtain natural gas. There seem to be a lot of pros and cons involved in hydraulic fracturing, so I am going to find out exactly how bad it is for the Earth.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
good question, interesting topic. I usually seem to think that anything leaked out into the public from production factories is not too good for us. I don't like pollution and could never live by any type of power plant. I'm curious as to where this blog is heading, and interested to see what you find out through research of this topic.
ReplyDeleteThis is becoming a very heated topic, especially in our area. I like the technical stance you took on the process of fracking. I think it makes it easier to be unbiased, and makes the topic more accessible to people who don’t know anything about it. It’s also interesting that you address the two biggest concerns of both sides, and look at them equally. Looks like it will be an interesting blog, and I look forward to seeing where it goes.
ReplyDelete-Max Shine
This is a very important topic especially in western Colorado. I heard that because of the flood many of the well have broken and were spilling oil. I heard this from somebody so I don't know if it is true but it would be worth looking into. My question do you think that fracking may future as a way to extract oil but the safety measure technology is not ready?
ReplyDelete